The theatre was built in 1971 and completed in 5 years, on Chev. Emvin Cremona’s designs. The architect was Joseph Naudi. It was housed within an early 19th century villa, already built close to the site. An inauguration concert was held in October 1976, by the Leone Band. The first opera, held in 1977, was Giacomo Puccini’s Butterfly, conducted by Mro. Joseph Sammut. The theatre is a sloped auditorium having a capacity of 1000 in the stalls, and another 500 spread on a 4-levelled tier.