Piazza d'Armi, Fort St Elmo
Fort St. Elmo occupies a strategic position at the tip of the Sceberras peninsula. During the Medieval period, this strategic position was already recognised and exploited. Reference to a permanent watch-post at Santo Eramo can in fact be found in the Militia Roster of 1417. Following a harsh Ottoman razzia in 1551, and various reports indicating a looming Ottaman siege, Grand Master De Homedes issued an order for the immediate erection of a fort. A star-shaped fort was constructed in circa 6 months, by military engineer Pietro Pardo, under the supervision of Knight Fra Leone Strozzi. By 1565 the fort acquired a cavalier, a covertway, a terraille, and a ravelin which was hastily built only a few months before the Great Siege of 1565. Fort St. Elmo also played an important role during World War II. The magnificent parade grounds opposite the Chapel of St. Anne and surrounded by the buildings which served as barracks during the British period, serve as the perfect backdrop to all sorts of events. Surrounded literally by history, your event is guaranteed to be one to remember.
Upcoming Events at Piazza d'Armi, Fort St Elmo